DPX v4.8 enhances support for virtualization, cloud storage, and ransomware protection
Woodcliff Lake, NJ — Catalogic Software, a leading provider of smart data protection solutions, today announced the release and general availability of Catalogic DPX 4.8, the newest version of Catalogic’s enterprise data protection software. DPX 4.8 brings major enhancements to agentless backups for virtual environments, enhanced cloud archiving, and advanced capabilities for compliance and ransomware protection. Catalogic confirms DPX is not affected by the critical Apache Log4j vulnerability.
Agentless or proxy-based backups continue to be the most popular choice for virtual environments, eliminating the need to install and maintain a backup agent on each virtual machine. The reliability and performance enhancements in the agentless backup in DPX 4.8 include:
- Single file recovery enabling restoration of specific files or directories from VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V agentless backups
- Support for protecting data attached to SATA and NVMe controllers for VMware
- Option to run only full backups of VDI VMs
DPX vStor was announced in 2018 as a software-defined backup appliance included in DPX. vStor provides do-it-yourself flexibility for customers and partners to build their own backup targets to meet performance and capacity requirements. vStor backup nodes can be deployed on bare metal servers or as virtual appliances, with choices of disk, tape or cloud object storage for long-term backup retention and ransomware protection. Enhancements to vStor in DPX 4.8 include:
- Software appliance configuration via the new HTML5 user interface of DPX
- Ability to replicate encrypted volumes to secondary vStor appliances, management of replication bandwidth, and ability to prioritize volume replication
- Amazon S3 Object Lock to set compliance and governance modes for cloud object storage. Once data is archived to the cloud and locked, it cannot be modified or deleted, even by an administrator, protecting cloud backups against early deletion and providing an extra layer of protection against ransomware and data loss
DPX vStor supports a robust set of features for archiving backups to cloud object storage via the S3 object storage protocol. Cloud storage with S3 Object Lock provides a cost-effective, long-term storage solution for data that must remain under a user’s control for compliance or data governance reasons.
“In this day and age of the everyday cyber-attack, the importance of a reliable and secure data protection solution like DPX cannot be overstated,” said Sathya Sankaran, COO, Catalogic Software. “Our newest version of DPX takes into account today’s threat landscape and regulatory requirements. Our vStor appliance adds support for leading cloud storage vendors Backblaze and Wasabi that provide low cost, rapid archiving and recovery, and support for Amazon S3 Glacier and Glacier Deep Archive for long term, very low-cost data retention.”
For further information on Catalogic DPX 4.8 and earlier releases, please see:
About Catalogic Software
Catalogic Software is a modern data protection company providing innovative backup and recovery solutions including its flagship DPX product, enabling IT organizations to protect, secure and leverage their data. Catalogic’s CloudCasa offers cloud data protection, backup and disaster recovery as a service for Kubernetes applications and cloud data services. Learn more at www.catalogicsoftware.com and www.cloudcasa.io