Subscribe to the Business Resilience DECODED podcast – from DRJ and Asfalis Advisors – on your favorite podcast app. New episodes every Thursday.
Episode 93: A Global Perspective on Equity – DEI Statements vs. Commitments with Olanike Ayomide-Mensah
What does equity look like on a global scale? In this episode, Equity Strategist Olanike Ayomide-Mensah joins us to share her perspective on moving from Nigeria to Ohio as a young girl and navigating adolescence as both an American citizen and an immigrant. Olanike has worked with several organizations through her DEI consulting firm Mosaic Consulting, and she shares what she believes differentiates organizations who have made statements about DEI from organizations who have made commitments to become more diverse and equitable workplaces.
Olanike is a workplace equity strategist and executor rolled into one. She is experienced in applying a justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) lens to all aspects of workplace management. She has applied her organizational development and leadership skills in both the non-profit and business/ corporate sectors, spending 20 years leading local, national, and international organizations. Her experience living on two continents gives her a unique, global lens that enriches her perspective.
Connect with Olanike:
- Olanike’s TEDx Talk – https://www.ted.com/talks/olanike_ayomide_mensah_the_big_lie
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/olanike/
- Website – https://www.mosaic4equity.com/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/mosaic4equity/
- Podcast – So You Wanna Be an Ally – https://anchor.fm/soyouwannabeanally
In this episode, you will learn:
- Olanike’s unique experience and perspective as both an American citizen and as an immigrant from Nigeria
- How her gift for identifying who was being excluded led to her career in DEI
- How designing systems without equity in mind means increasing risk in your organizations
- Why diversity in a team means diversity of thought and the insight you lose when you don’t prioritize diversity
- Why you need to evaluate diversity at the leadership level of your organization – this is where the representation should be happening
- How to recognize the difference between statements and commitments about diversity
- Why hiring an external DEI consultant is effective for identifying opportunities for change in your organization
Disaster Recovery Journal:
- Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series: https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
- Register for DRJ Spring 2022: Resiliency Transformed: http://www.drj.com/spring2022
- Visit our website here: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com
- Apply to be a guest on the podcast: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/decoded/
- Download the 5 Step Crisis Strategy: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/services/
Connect with the podcast!
- Please take part in our podcast listener survey: https://forms.gle/XDuYPcFjXaydkEXV6
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Podcast website: https://drj.com/decoded/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEIrqWlxuyDvkXB24h6Obw/videos
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
- Book Mathews as a speaker: https://bit.ly/VanessaMathews
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.
global perspective, DEI and risk, commitments to DEI, performative DEI, diversity, DEI, equity and inclusion