Episode 165: Best Practices to Land Your Next Big Role | Resumes, Interview Tips, & More
If you find yourself looking for a new role, you might be wondering how to set yourself apart in the application and interview process. Enter Kim Hooper, an HR manager for Asfalis and an award-winning security professional with more than 20 years of experience at companies like Wal-Mart and Amazon. In this episode, Kim is sharing her best tips and practices for polishing your resume, nailing the interview, and more!
Some key takeaways from this episode include:
- Always do your research on the company before your interview. What are their core values? Are there opportunities for community engagement within the organization? Write down the questions you have about the company, and bring a pen and paper to take notes.
- Keep your resume simple and easy to digest. Avoid templates that are so detailed or stylized that you forget to remove placeholder text, and don’t try to create a super colorful resume to stand out. It’s way more important that it’s legible and quick to scan.
- Pay attention to your digital footprint. Clean up your social media, make sure your email address and social media handles are professional, and maintain an updated and active LinkedIn profile.
- Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series
- Register for DRJ Spring 2024: Unleashing the Power of Resilience
Connect with the podcast!
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.
KEYWORDS: hiring, resume tips, interview tips, hiring process, human resources, open to work