Subscribe to the Business Resilience DECODED podcast – from DRJ and Asfalis Advisors – on your favorite podcast app. New episodes every Thursday.
Episode 130: Building Financial Resilience to Secure Your Family’s Future
As BCP professionals, we spend a lot of time discussing financial resilience from a corporate or business perspective, but we don’t have conversations about personal finance nearly enough. Personal financial resilience is crucial for preventing and bouncing back from personal challenges. In this episode, Melanie Boykin is sharing her more than 30 years of experience in the financial industry with us. Melanie is the business continuity and disaster recovery planner for Commerce Bank. In addition to her work in the business continuity field, she also teaches financial literacy to crucial age groups and underserved communities.
Connect with Melanie Boykin
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/melanie-boykin-cbcp-she-her-aab17b38/
- Girls Talk Money Podcast – https://www.youtube.com/c/GirlsTalkMoneyMoneyTSimplyCee/videos
Sign up for our Four Corners newsletter for opportunities to connect, access to exclusive content, bonus interviews, and more at https://bit.ly/BRDFourCorners.
Some key takeaways from our conversation with Melanie include:
- We need to talk about numbers – especially financial numbers – early and often. You don’t have to share your salary with everyone, but it’s important to have a mindset where money isn’t a taboo topic. It’s healthy, educational, and beneficial to discuss it.
- Get crystal clear on what your income and expenses look like every month. Do you know where your money is going? If your expenses are higher than your income, you need to start cutting expenses to gain back control of your finances.
- Get to know your personal banker and the opportunities available to you from your bank. They are a resource for you, and can advocate for you on your financial journey.
Disaster Recovery Journal:
- Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series: https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
- Register for DRJ Spring 2023: Solutions for a Resilient Tomorrow: https://www.drj.com/spring2023
- Visit our website here: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com
- Apply to be a guest on the podcast: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/decoded/
- Download the 5 Step Crisis Strategy: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/services/
Connect with the podcast!
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Podcast website: https://drj.com/decoded/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEIrqWlxuyDvkXB24h6Obw/videos
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
- Book Mathews as a speaker: https://bit.ly/VanessaMathews
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonseals/
- Disaster Recovery Journal: https://drj.com/