Subscribe to the Business Resilience DECODED podcast – from DRJ and Asfalis Advisors – on your favorite podcast app. New episodes every Thursday.
Episode 115: Creating a Resilient Future for Charlotte with Mayor Vi Lyles Pt. 2
In the second and final segment of this interview, Vanessa sits down with Mayor Vi Lyles to discuss how she is creating a resilient future for Charlotte, NC. Be sure to listen to Part I first! In this installment, Vanessa and Mayor Lyles share what you as an individual can do to foster resiliency and invest in your community, and transportation and infrastructure in major cities.
Sign up for our Four Corners newsletter for opportunities to connect, access to exclusive content, bonus interviews, and more at https://bit.ly/BRDFourCorners.
Some key takeaways from this episode include:
- Be extremely intentional about the companies you’re spending money with. Can you spend your money with a business owned by people of color? Can you promote them to your friends and family and encourage them to invest in them as well?
- Communities need to hold major healthcare facilities accountable for creating equitable opportunities for healthcare access.
- Transportation is closely related to quality of life. Quality of life is not sitting in traffic for hours. Reliable mass transit makes cities accessible, and improves the quality of life of its residents and visitors.
- Turn your attention to local government. Hold your own mayor and city council accountable for investing in the community and creating equitable and sustainable infrastructure.
Disaster Recovery Journal:
- Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series: https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
- Register for DRJ Fall 2022: The Evolution of Resilience: https://www.drj.com/fall2022
- Visit our website here: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com
- Apply to be a guest on the podcast: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/decoded/
- Download the 5 Step Crisis Strategy: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/services/
Connect with the podcast!
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Podcast website: https://drj.com/decoded/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEIrqWlxuyDvkXB24h6Obw/videos
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
- Book Mathews as a speaker: https://bit.ly/VanessaMathews
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.