Subscribe to the Business Resilience DECODED podcast – from DRJ and Asfalis Advisors – on your favorite podcast app. New episodes every Thursday.
This episode is brought to you by Fusion Risk Management, Building a More Resilient World Together. Request a demo at https://bit.ly/FusionDECODED today!
Episode 92: How DEI Should Connect to Your Business Goals and Operations with Kevin Clayton, VP of diversity, inclusion and community engagement for the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers
There have been so many conversations around diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) since 2020, but few of those have discussed a return on investment for money and time spent on DEI. In today’s episode, Kevin Clayton, the vice president of diversity, inclusion and community engagement for the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers, is sharing his unique perspective on DEI. In his role, Kevin has worked to connect DEI to all business operations, a key connection that so many organizations are still missing. Kevin also shares his story of how sports taught him about inclusion from a young age, and why it’s important to separate emotions from discussions about DEI.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How diversity initiatives have expanded to entail conversations around inclusion and equity
- How Kevin leveraged playing sports to be included in a predominately white school
- The business operations behind the Cleveland Cavaliers
- The risks associated with sports events and the risk mitigation strategies they need to put in place
- How the Cleveland Cavaliers’ efforts to support diversity, equity, and inclusion are tied to all the systems in their business including metrics, accountability, bonuses and compensation
- Why you should care about DEI as a director or a VP
- Why diversity means more than just outward differences between individuals
Disaster Recovery Journal:
- Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series: https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
- Register for DRJ Spring 2022: Resiliency Transformed: http://www.drj.com/spring2022
- Visit our website here: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com
- Apply to be a guest on the podcast: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/decoded/
- Download the 5 Step Crisis Strategy: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/services/
Connect with the podcast!
- Please take part in our podcast listener survey: https://forms.gle/XDuYPcFjXaydkEXV6
- Email us: email@example.com
- Podcast website: https://drj.com/decoded/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEIrqWlxuyDvkXB24h6Obw/videos
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
- Book Mathews as a speaker: https://bit.ly/VanessaMathews
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonseals/
- Disaster Recovery Journal: https://drj.com/