Subscribe to the Business Resilience DECODED podcast – from DRJ and Asfalis Advisors – on your favorite podcast app. New episodes every Thursday.
Episode 88: How Strong Negotiation Skills Build Strong Business Relationships
Negotiation is a skill that so many leaders don’t practice before they need them. While negotiation might bring to mind some imagery of a power struggle, it can actually be an excellent tool for building your business relationships.
In this episode, Richard Coughlan is giving us a short masterclass on the skills we need to become better negotiators, and how practicing these skills can improve our relationships at work and at home. By the end of this episode, you’ll have three action and mindset items to work on to start improving your negotiation skills today.
Richard Coughlan is an educator, speaker, and consultant on the best practices of negotiation for business leaders. He is a professor and faculty director at the University of Richmond, and he is also a frequent facilitator of negotiation workshops for business leaders.
Connect with Richard on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richardcoughlan/
In this episode, you will learn:
- Why it’s important for organizations to understand how to negotiate
- The skills you need to build to be a great negotiator
- How to reframe your view of negotiation as a collaborative experience
- Using your negotiation skills in interpersonal relationships
- Applications for negotiation in the business resilience industry
- Three things business leaders can do right now to improve their negotiation skills
Disaster Recovery Journal:
- Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series: https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
- Register for DRJ Spring 2022: Resiliency Transformed: http://www.drj.com/spring2022
- Apply to be a guest on the podcast: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/decoded/
- Download the 5 Step Crisis Strategy: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/services/
Connect with the podcast!
- Please take part in our podcast listener survey: https://forms.gle/XDuYPcFjXaydkEXV6
- Email us: email@example.com
- Podcast website: https://drj.com/decoded/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNEIrqWlxuyDvkXB24h6Obw/videos
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
- Book Mathews as a speaker: https://bit.ly/VanessaMathews
- Asfalis Advisors: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.