Subscribe to the Business Resilience DECODED podcast – from DRJ and Asfalis Advisors – on your favorite podcast app. New episodes every Thursday.
In this episode Vanessa takes a solo tour through the past year, looking at some of the big public events as well as some private lessons learned. She remembers the election of Raphael Warnock as the first African-American to represent Georgia in the Senate, the ransomware attack on the Colonial Pipeline, the U.S. departure from Afghanistan, and the victory of her hometown Atlanta Braves in the World Series. She also shares some of the challenges she personally overcame and some of the tips and strategies Asfalis Advisors used to move forward as a company this year. In this episode, you will learn:
- The necessity of defining and living by your core values.
- The difficulty and value of apologizing.
- The perils of micromanaging.
- The importance of identifying people you can trust and then trusting them.
- The benefits for a leader of setting a one-year plan, a three-year target, and a “Big Hairy Audacious Goal™” 10-year goal (coined by Jim Collins)
Vanessa also thanks her listeners, subscribers, and guests and wishes everyone a happy and safe new year.
CNN.com 2021 in Review: Fast Facts: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/19/us/2021-in-review-fast-facts/index.html
“Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies,” by Jim Collins and Jerry I. Porras
“Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business,” by Gino Wickman
Disaster Recovery Journal:
Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series at https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
Register for DRJ Spring 2022: Resiliency Transformed at http://www.drj.com/spring2022
- Apply to be a guest on the podcast: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/decoded/
- Download the 5 Step Crisis Strategy: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/services/
Connect with the podcast!
- Please take part in our podcast listener survey at: https://forms.gle/XDuYPcFjXaydkEXV6
- Email us at email@example.com
- Podcast Website: https://drj.com/decoded/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
- Book Mathews as a speaker: https://bit.ly/VanessaMathews
- Asfalis Advisors: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.