Subscribe to the Business Resilience DECODED podcast – from DRJ and Asfalis Advisors – on your favorite podcast app. New episodes every other Thursday.
Episode 82: The Intersection of Logistics and Crisis Management
Vanessa is joined by logistics expert Fred Cartwright, business development manager with Haversack, for a talk about the crisis facing the global supply chain. There’s a worldwide shortage of semiconductors, space in U.S-bound cargo ships is at a premium, vessels are backed up outside U.S. ports, everybody wants everything right now, the domestic auto industry lacks critical parts, and the pandemic has made a bad situation worse. The result, says Fred, is “mass chaos.” In addition:
- Fred says that even professional forecasters “are having trouble figuring out when the end of this is going to be.”
- Vanessa asks Fred what he’s currently seeing in the market from the supply chain perspective.
- Fred shares his thoughts on what companies can do to make their supply chains more resilient.
Finally, Vanessa explains how a business should be like a basketball and Fred describes how throwing boxes for FedEx International during college put him on a path to becoming a logistics and supply chain expert. “Logistics gets under your skin,” he says.
Disaster Recovery Journal:
Register for DRJ’s weekly (Wednesday) webinar series at https://drj.com/webinars/up-coming/
Register for DRJ Spring 2022: Resiliency Transformed at http://www.drj.com/spring2022
Connect with the podcast!
- Please take part in our podcast listener survey at: https://forms.gle/XDuYPcFjXaydkEXV6
- Email us at email@example.com
- Podcast Website: https://drj.com/decoded/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BRDecoded
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/business-resilience-decoded/
Fred Cartwright, guest
Fred Cartwright is business development management with Haversack, a North Carolina-based logistics consulting firm. An 18-year veteran of the supply chain field, Fred previously worked in logistics and transport roles with companies such as Honeywell, Best Buy, BMW, and Coca-Cola. He got his start in working on the supply chain by loading boxes on the night shift at FedEx International while studying music in college.
- Haversack: https://www.gohaversack.com/
- Haversack LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/gohaversack
- Haversack Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Haversackthefuture/
- DAT Freight and Analytics: https://www.dat.com/
Vanessa Mathews, host
Vanessa Mathews is the founder and chief resilience officer of Asfalis Advisors, where they are focused on protecting the legacy of the leaders they serve through business resilience. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Mathews developed global crisis management and business continuity programs for government and private sector organizations to include Lowe’s Companies, Gulfstream Aerospace, and the Department of Homeland Security.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vanessa-vaughn-mathews-mba-cbcp-70916b4b/
- Book Mathews as a speaker: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/public-speaking/
- Asfalis Advisors: https://www.asfalisadvisors.com/
Jon Seals, producer
Jon Seals is the editor in chief at Disaster Recovery Journal, the leading magazine/event in business continuity. Seals is an award-winning journalist with a background in publication design, business media, content management, sports journalism, social media, and podcasting.