August 13, 2019
check out our FAQs below.
We are excited to announce the DRJ Mentor Program – a 10-month accelerated learning path designed to promote education, opportunity, inclusion, and excellence surrounding the exploration and evolution of all aspects of business continuity and operational risk management. Using our proven framework and easy-to-access online portal, participants will be provided best in-class mentor/mentee matching, facilitated goal setting, access to educational resources in the library, as well as encouragement and support from the Mentor AlumniGroup.
Mentoring is an opportunity to develop a synergistic relationship through conversation that enables you to set and achieve goals, make decisions and solve problems.
We hope you enjoy the open and candid discussions and guidance in our program. We invite you to join this fast-growing network of DRJ Mentor Alumni!
BENEFITS TO MENTORS
- Grow your coaching and counseling skills,
- Expand your access to information,
- Build larger networks,
- Gain well-being from sharing your know-how with others.
- Become a better listener,
- Improve over-all communication skills and
- Increased coaching and management skills.
BENEFITS TO MENTEES
- Direct your professional development,
- Address challenges in real time,
- Gain exposure to different companies, functional areas and/or best practices,
- Develop the skills needed for your success, and,
- Discover new strengths, talents and interests…
Program Duration: 10 months,
Time commitment: Plan to invest 2-3 hours per month
Cost: Participation is free
DRJ Mentor Program FAQs
How much does it cost to join the program?
The program is complimentary.
What is the time commitment?
Allow for at least 2-3 hours per month towards the program.
Can I put the program on hold?
If circumstances come up that require you to put your program on hold, we can help you. Get in touch with a DRJ team member.
What is the difference between training and mentoring?
Training is generally delivered according to a predetermined curriculum, with the trainee carrying the burden of meeting the curriculum’s deliverables. Mentoring is a more customized activity, that assigns deliverables to the Mentor as well as to the Mentee. In addition, the role of Mentor may be to serve as a “role model,” whereas the role of a trainer is generally to deliver a specific content without having a “partnership” with the trainee.
What is the difference between consulting and mentoring?
Mentoring, in the context of the DRJ Mentor Program, involves providing guidance on a specifically defined topics, within in a structured environment, and for a limited duration. Consulting is a company-funded service provided by an expert in a particular area, as defined by agreement between a client and a contractor. The DRJ Mentor Program is intended to provide a learning opportunity for an individual Mentee, but not advisement services for a company. Mentoring is not intended to take the place of consulting.
How much experience do I need to be a mentor?
We recommend that you should have at least 10 years industry experience to qualify as a mentor for the program.
More specifically – here are the criteria we require from mentors.
- Industry Certification Recommended
- Can be an active or retired business continuity professional with a minimum of 10 years validated experience
- Ability to commit 2-3 hours per month for each Mentee for the 10 month duration of the program
- Be able to attend DRJ Mentoring Program training live sessions or watch the recorded webinars
- If applicable, obtain your employer approval
How do I know if I qualify as a Mentee
If you have a desire to learn and improve your skills, you should consider applying for the program.
More specifically – here are the criteria to qualify:
- You must currently serve in a business continuity role for a minimum of 12 months
- You must have a basic knowledge of business continuity planning
- You must have the ability to commit 2-3 hours per month for the 10 month duration of the program.
- Be able to attend DRJ Mentoring Program training live sessions or watch the recorded webinars of the sessions
- If necessary, obtain your employers approval
How are mentoring matches made?
The DRJ Mentor program matches mentors and mentees via our personalized match criteria. Through a short survey, the proprietary matching algorithm pairs mentees with the most compatible mentor match based on areas of experience and expertise. Mentors are able to share their knowledge and wisdom with mentees who seek to gain similar expertise and knowledge.
How will I communicate with my partner? Will we need to meet face-to-face?
We recommend business travel is not required. This program is intended to be in person/face-to-face, by phone or virtual depending on what you and your partner agree upon.
Do I need to be a DRJ subscriber to join?
No – you do not need to be a DRJ subscriber to join the program. However, subscription is free and will keep you up to date with the latest news, webinars and research available.
Will the personal and professional information I share through the DRJ Mentor Program be kept confidential?
Yes – we keep all information submitted through the portal and program confidential and no information will be shared publicly without your permission.
Can students join the program?
Students can join the program, but only if they have at least 1 year experience in the BC/DR/CM space.
What if I have other questions or need more support?
Contact the team at [email protected]. We will be happy to help!